Want to be a foster parent? This class is your first step.
We are proud to host another Caregive Core Training (CCT). This 8 session course which is a requirement for families pursuing foster parent licensure. The CCT course will be held at Secret Harbor. The course runs every night from 6-9 pm beginning May 21-24. There will be a week-long break before the course picks up again from June 4-7.
Free childcare is available (also at Secret Harbor) for all 8 sessions, and dinner will be provided for the first and last sessions.
The sessions are designed to help you understand:
- How the system works
- What your role is as a member of the team
- How to effectively work with birth families in order to best support the child
- How caregiving may impact your own family
- Child development and the impact of trauma
- All about attachment
- How to incorporate and honor a child's culture into your own family
The sessions include the voices of former foster youth, current caregivers and birth parents who have been involved with the system.
- May 21: Introduction to the Child Welfare System
- May 22: Working as Member of the Team
- May 23: Working with Birth Families
- May 24:: Cultural Connections and Advocacy
- June 4: Growing up with Trauma, Grief, and Loss
- June 5: Understanding and Managing Behaviors
- June 6: Communication and Crisis Management
- June 7: Getting Ready and the Effects on the Caregiving Family
Attendance at all 8 sessions is required for at least 1 of the parents in a prospective foster family (we recommend you both attend, that's why we provide childcare). This course is interchangeable with the one taught across the state by the Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence, so if you miss a session, you can make it up in an Alliance course.
Still not sure? Attend an interest meeting to learn more about foster care and why it's worthwhile. Visit our event page here.
May 21-24 & June 4-7
225 N Walnut St, Burlington, WA 98233, USA